Monday, February 24, 2014

Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce

One of the best comfort foods is spaghetti with meat sauce, in my opinion! But, it is made even better with homemade pasta sauce instead of the canned, pre-made stuff. Now, in the middle of winter you may have to rely on canned tomatoes to make this (unless you have a bunch canned from your garden last summer), but I still think it tastes better then the jarred sauce. And I am most definitely going to grow more tomatoes this year to make my own garden-fresh sauce! I made a double batch of this a few weeks ago and froze most of it to enjoy yet this winter. It's very versatile to use in other ways, too, like for lasagne or manicotti. Also, I did a mixture of italian sausage and ground turkey to cut the calories a bit. Tweak as you wish, as always!
IMG_0306

Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce

  • 1-1/2 lbs bulk italian sausage
  • 1 cup diced onions (about 2 medium)
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans (8oz) tomato sauce
  • 2 cans (6oz) tomato paste
Brown up the italian sausage, drain, and pour into slow cooker. Then add all remaining ingredients. Use at least a 4 qt slow cooker. I doubled it and it fit fine into my 6 qt cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment